Let's Talk Layering
Let’s talk layering
Like flicking a switch, the 1st September arrived and the weather suddenly takes a turn for the worse!
The evenings are already getting shorter and there is definitely an autumnal nip in the air!
Sometimes this ‘in-between weather’ can be hard to dress for. It starts off cold in the morning and by the afternoon it’s a tropical heatwave!
So, what do you wear?
Layering what you already have
Layering is the key to autumnal dressing. Easy layers that you can take on and off as the weather changes throughout the day so you don’t end up feeling cold or stifled.
Wearing your summer vest tops underneath your clothes is a great idea, especially if you tuck them in. The extra layer will be so much warmer and you won’t have to wear a big coat, just a lightweight jacket.
Most day dresses can be worn with a jumper over the top which not only keeps you warmer, it gives the dress a different look and utilises more of your existing wardrobe.
Some summer dresses, especially if they are darker coloured, look great with a thin polo neck underneath, thick tights and boots! You could always take the tights off throughout the day if it gets really warm and maybe pop a pair of sandals in your bag!
Layering up a casual outfit of jeans, a tee, blazer and trench coat or mac is a great way of looking great whilst having layers you can take off and still look good.
Tonal dressing works very well at this time of year, wearing all of the same colour but in different tones. It looks classy and stylish yet its practical because you can remove layers as the weather warms throughout the day.
What you may need to buy
Make sure you have at least one pair of ankle boots to wear with jeans, dresses, skirts with thick boots. Something with a small heel, either kitten, block, wedge (you decide what is most comfortable) will add height and length to your legs making you appear taller and slimmer.
You also need to invest in a neutral lightweight jacket, not a blazer or coat but a jacket or duster coat that will see you through the autumnal changeable weather without making you feel stifled.
Here’s a checklist of essentials for the autumn wardrobe:
- At least one pair of neutral ankles boots or a statement boot (animal print for example)
- A blazer or lightweight jacket
- Ankle length slim or skinny jeans to be worn with ankle boots, trainers or sandals
- Lightweight knitwear that can be layered with a tee or shirt underneath, or thin enough to wear under a blazer or jacket.
- Midi length dresses (from your summer collection) that can be worn with trainers or ankle boots and as the weather cools you can wear thick tights and biker or knee length boots.
- Accessories, accessories, accessories! – layer up those necklaces for an on-trend look, lightweight scarves to add interest and bring your outfit together (video to follow on how to tie scarves)
- A statement handbag to add a splash of colour.
Autumn colours can sometimes be quite dull, there’s no need to stick to brown, burgundy and burnt orange! If you like to stick to black as your safe colour then why not use a brightly coloured handbag or jacket or even some animal print ankle boots to push you out of your comfort zone. Wearing colour can bring so much to your life so experiment and be brave!
Click on the links below for some examples:
Snakeskin heel ankle boots -
Yellow circle cross body bag -
Turqouise jacket -
Knitted cape jacket -
If you need any advice on layering or dressing for Autumn just give me a call on 0776 3341849.
Happy layering lovelies
Add a comment: